Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Been a while since I've been on here. Sorry Guys! I've been working on my other two clunkers. A man needs a daily driver, and I don't want to use the Javelin for that. My truck went to my youngest son, so he would have a good driver, and I got his 77' Buick Skylark. Been fixing little issues on it, and been working on my other turd a 82' 60 degree V-6 Camaro. Just trying to get better mileage out of it. I just swapped intakes and carbs, and it's running much better. No I didn't go out and buy it! It was given to me, so I wouldn't have to use the Javelin as a driver! The Buick needs taller tires and more of a highway gear before it could be a driver. Anyways I've been working on the taillight panel on the Javelin, and it's getting there. I've got it close, but I don't like the way the taillights fit. I'll shoot some pix when I get a chance....
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Don't like the stock setup, or is that bent rear sheet metal coming back to haunt you?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

I wouldn't say that it's haunting me, more like it's having a ghoulish time with me! Here it is before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eBay 041.jpg (54.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 594.jpg (98.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Here it is after....And the old bumper....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eBay 114.jpg (66.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg eBay 115.jpg (69.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg eBay 116.jpg (101.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Could be just the chrome trim that's bent, and it looks like some is missing anyway... maybe find a wrecking yard that can do a computer search and see what turns up.... or the cyber wrecking yard known as ebay. Might also be worth an ad at the antique auto club, or classic cars of america. They're mostly into older iron, but they do have some muscle car era connections.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Inactive User

Agree that it's the chrome trim that's bent. Because it looks like truly beautiful work on the sheet metal. And because of the way the lenses are sitting. As suggested, it might be time to hunt for trim, lenses, or complete tail light assembly. Or, since everything you do turns out so nicely, you might be the one who can fix the assembly.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

I was thinking of removing the chrome trim till I can get a replacement set. It would look almost like it was a 71'. I'm pretty sure I could find some, but just like say a E-body, it isn't gonna be cheap. I've got to think about this one, and thanks for the very kind words! I wish everything I did turned out nice!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

You might find some help and info here:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums....46725b78f1zf41
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I'm a member there! Thanks anyway. I'm on many forums, but I found that this is one of the friendliest! Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 AM

Original parts are always sweet... if you can find them. If not, there is another alternative since you're going the custom route on the grill anyway. Maybe a full length piece of recessed red plexiglass on the back with LED tailights in the trunk?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

I've thought about that. I'm thinking that I'll pull the chrome for now and see if I like it, and go from there. Once it warms up I've got bodywork on 3 vehicles, so it will be hot out before anything gets close to getting paint. Just about every body panel on the Javelin needs to be re-alined, which is going to drive me crazy if I don't do it a little at a time. Did I mention that I don't care much for body work, I'd rather be turning wrenches!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beleneagle View Post
I'm a member there! Thanks anyway. I'm on many forums, but I found that this is one of the friendliest! Thanks guys!
I am too but don't hang out there much. Yes, this definitly is one of the friendliest sites on the innertube.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Yea there are some very nice guys over there as well, but there's also a few that I don't see eye to eye with as well. I have a source of parts locally that I use when I have the money. I much prefer this place over a great deal of auto forums. I'm not sure just what exactly makes a Mopar nut, a Mopar nut, (outside of great cars), but I've found that most Mopar people are very good folk as well. Two of my closest friends are into Mopars!

David
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

Well here it is the middle of the month already and I haven't touched the car at all. Of course that is because I had a friend offer to take me out to Vegas to see NASCAR! I ended up catching a bad virus that has left me doing nothing since I got back, but it was sure worth it! I plan on doing something with it this weekend if the Lord is willing.....
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Cool...last time I got dragged to Vegas I had to go to a wedding. Always here about that guy on the strip that was down to his last dollar and won big. I got down to my last American dollar in the airport so I put it in a slot machine...ate it just like the first one! Weather's warming up so maybe everyone will get back to their projects soon.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 AM

I knew there was a good reason for me to not go slipping coins into those machines...
Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Started work on the left front fender. The bottom looks like it endured a blowout. It was rolled up like a sardine can (well maybe not that bad), and is ripped in two places. The bottom area of the cowl used a J-bolt to hold the fender in place, but that area got ripped out so I'm just going to weld in a thick piece of sheetmetal with a nut weld to the backside. Short of like a caged nut. I've got to make sure to allow for drainage, just in-case I get caught in a cloud burst!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

With the amount of damage this poor Jav has incurred, it sounds like you really need all the tools and dies and presses and brakes the factory used. With your talent, if we were back in the 1950's when Indy was wide open, you would have been a lock for an Indy 500 win.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Your much too kind, but I'll take it anyways. It's just a little bit of experience, and lot's of watching my elders, and friends. Oh, and tons of patience!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150726239354433

I don't know if this link will work if you don't have facebook. If not I'll get another that will in a few days. As for this one, all I can say is that it needs a posi bad!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Nope....I've got Faceplant and it still won't let me view it.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Well, I kinda figured that would happen. My Daughter in law is going to e-mail me the video in a couple days, so I should be able to post it then.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

While I'm waiting on the video, I have a question for you Mopar greats. I might be able to get a Magnum 360 Block. I am wondering if you can use a flat tappet cam in such a block, or do I need to stick with a roller cam?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Inactive User

I think it would be better to stay with the roller cam. It should last a lot longer. And there might be less friction so a little more hp. And no need for a zinc/phosphorus additive.
If you want to use a cam with more lift and duration, they are more expensive than the flat tappet cams, but the stock cam can be reground.
Not certain, but I believe a flat tappet cam would work. Would need different lifters and push rods and the zinc/phosphorus additive. The oils now have a lot less zinc/phosphorus, because it is believed that this poisons the catalytic converter. A roller cam does fine without the additive, so the manufacturers went to rollers.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Here's a new link to the video:

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=fb3978f1.mp4

Yes I know that it really needs a posi!

I scored a low miles on a mostly complete, .030 over 360 Magnum long block. I need a few odds and ends, and I hope to have it in the Javelin and up and running with in a month. It's going to take me that long cause the po pulled the heads and then let it sit and get full of dust without sealing it up. So I get to very carefully disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble it before it's going in the car. At this point, due to money constrains, I'm going to re-use the cam and lifters that are in the Javelin's 318. I know to keep the lifters on the lobe that they are presently on. I was going to use 302 casting # heads, which would have worked because the LA oiling holes are drilled in this block, but I'd rather have a much better flowing head (Magnum) and lose a little compression (which I can somewhat make up for with timing), then have a slightly higher CR, and have the motor sign off at 4,000. We have a swap meet here in a little over two weeks, and I hope to score a intake, otherwise I'll be drilling the heads.....
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM

lol...looks like fun! Toss me the keys...
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. I still have a lot to do on the car, but I want to get it fully reliable so I can take it out and enjoy it from time to time. Even in it's less than pristine condition, I get looks and thumbs up whenever I get it out. I can fry that poor old tire just for fun cause the rear tires are weather cracked and need to be replaced anyhow. I keep the speed down in it when I take it over to my buddies across town.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

OK, got the 360 apart today. Everything looked great except the bearings. Looked like the motor was built, then ran for 6,000 -10,000 miles and never had the oil changed. Who ever build it looks like they knew what they where doing. The crank was .010 .010, and the fillets were cut on a small radius to make sure there were no possible stress risers. Oil holes were lightly smoothed, used
Clevite 77 bearings. The piston skirts look like new, no ridge what so ever in the bores. It does need new bearings as most were showing copper for some reason. The wear pattern is uniform for the most part. I'm taking the crank with me on Wednesday to get measured. I'm thinking of running King bearings this time, does anybody have any experience with them? I'm going to give it a gas bath followed by the pressure washer. There is no sludge anywhere on this. Oh, one more question, if I stick with a flat tappet cam, what length pushrods will I need to run with those magnum heads? I want to stick with the early timing cover and fuel pump. What years of the roller cams had the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump? I might try a re-grind if I can get it on a early roller core that has that provision.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Inactive User

The roller cam I pulled out of my 86 has a pump lobe. That's an LA motor, carbureted. An fi motor would probably not have a pump lobe. I have read that a roller cam can be ground. But there isn't much meat on the lobes. But there must be enough.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 AM

You can get around the fuel pump problem quite easily if you wire in an electric pump...