Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 AM

Default K&N/ Wix oil filters which is best of the 4

I got a 1967 440 and was wondering of the four listed oil filters can anyone tell me which is Really the Best oil filter
K&N HP-3001 Oil Filter
K&N PS-3001 Oil Filter
Wix 51515XP Oil Filter
Wix 51515 Oil Filter
Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 PM

No, can't tell you which is the best. Ask 100 different people and you will get 100 different answers.

I use the WIX 51515 on my cars.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:20 PM

Well your right on 100 different people and answers. I also use the 51515, but recently someone did some work on my car and they put on an K&N on it and was wondering which one i should go with
Old 07-16-2016, 06:13 PM

X 3 for the 15515. The K&N is usually more money but I don't think they're any better.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 PM

Thanks for chiming in. Thats what im wondering. But K&N carries such a good name and performance as far as the air filters are concerned, so i was wondering about the oil filters
Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM

I'll get blasted for this response, but I just use cheap filters (not sure they'll let me use the F brand on a forum) and I change them often. In the old days that meant every 1,000 miles, with the newer oils etc. that goes to 3,000 km. I rarely have engine problems, and I keep a lot of engines running around the farm.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
But K&N carries such a good name and performance as far as the air filters are concerned, so i was wondering about the oil filters
There's a lot of debate on the true effectiveness of K&N air filters. More hype than reality.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
There's a lot of debate on the true effectiveness of K&N air filters. More hype than reality.
Agree, and I've used K&N too. Just proves that a snake-oil salesman will always tell you whatever you need to hear to sell you their product.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 AM

Biggrin

Somewhere a long time ago, a guy bought a mess of oil filters and cut each one apart to see what the differences were. The results were pretty convincing. The cheaper filters, (no name but orange, I think) were really flimsy.

All in all, I believe Wix was always in the top tier. They also make industrial filters for big machinery and machine tools.

Of course, Mopar stands behind their filters. They have a lot at risk to put a junk filter on new cars and trucks that they have to warrant for an extended time.

Anybody remember when the oil filter housing was mounted on the firewall? They accepted a replaceable liner that dropped in. Filter changes were easy and relatively clean. Back then, they recommended changing the filter every other oil change.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I'll get blasted for this response, but I just use cheap filters (not sure they'll let me use the F brand on a forum) and I change them often. In the old days that meant every 1,000 miles, with the newer oils etc. that goes to 3,000 km. I rarely have engine problems, and I keep a lot of engines running around the farm.
I used to use the f brand on all my cars and vans i had back then and never had any problems and i drove several different vehicals back then, but one time after years of useing them i had one some how seize up and i lost all oil pressure, and i change the filter and i had oil pressure again. After that i changed to Wix. But that was one time after years of useing the same brand, thats when i learned that their are better filters out their, or so they say.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel View Post
Thats new news to me. I didnt know that. I thought that they were proven to be way much better.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopars&Missiles View Post
Agree, and I've used K&N too. Just proves that a snake-oil salesman will always tell you whatever you need to hear to sell you their product.
I kind of wondered that myself, but i figured it was proven. One of our local parts stores had a K&N display with a ball and and air machine. Something like that.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Somewhere a long time ago, a guy bought a mess of oil filters and cut each one apart to see what the differences were. The results were pretty convincing. The cheaper filters, (no name but orange, I think) were really flimsy.

All in all, I believe Wix was always in the top tier. They also make industrial filters for big machinery and machine tools.

Of course, Mopar stands behind their filters. They have a lot at risk to put a junk filter on new cars and trucks that they have to warrant for an extended time.

Anybody remember when the oil filter housing was mounted on the firewall? They accepted a replaceable liner that dropped in. Filter changes were easy and relatively clean. Back then, they recommended changing the filter every other oil change.
Their was a parts place that had few filters cut open in half to show which was better, and if i remember correctly the wix was the best looking one, but i dont think they had any K&N filters their. That may have been befor the oil filters were available. As far as the oil housing mounted on the firewall, i dont remember that. I been to alot of car shows and personally worked on and have owned some old cars but never seen that. A pic would be great if you had one just so i could see how that set up looked. The only thing i can remember is some 50's model cars had a oil bath breather? Not sure if i got that term right or not.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
Thats new news to me. I didnt know that. I thought that they were proven to be way much better.
Their air filters are much better at flowing air but there has to be a tradeoff and the tradeoff is filtering efficiency. The fact that they use oil on the filter element to trap dirt shows that the filter element isn't good at trapping air and the fact that they offer a pre-filter (filter wrap) for dusty conditions reinforces that belief.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 AM

www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

When I lived in southern California, the off-roaders all used oil bath air filters. Nothing else they tried would trap the sand and dust. Cars in the forties and fifties used oil bath/steel screen air filters. As far as oil filters, I agree with John that K&N is more hype than performance. I have used several different brands of oil filters over the years and still have no preference. The only way to know would be to run an engine for several thousand miles and then test the filter and the oil. And it would be best to run engines with different amounts of mileage. I haven't seen what I would consider results so scientifically oriented.
At Volvo, we saw many engines that made over 300K and still running strong on Volvo filters, which were probably made by more than one German supplier. What everybody really wants to know is what filter will help an engine last.