Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Default fuel sending unit problems

Glad this forum is back in business. I had to put a new fuel sending unit in my 1970 Cuda because the weld around to fuel tube broke and fuel was leaking out. The gauge was working perfect. I bought one at Jegs for $42 and when I still have about 8 gallons left the gauge reads empty. I found a chart on ohms for sending units and saw that when empty it should read 73 ohms and full should be 10 ohms. My new one reads 75.5 ohms empty and 8 ohms full. Is this enough difference to deem the new one junk? If so, where is a good place to buy a good one? thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 11:58 PM

2 ohms isn't going to amount to anything. Especially when the sender should be in the middle of it's range.

Is the float hung up in the tank?

What is the ohms of the sender with it installed in the tank, with the fuel in it?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply the time I put gas in it it goes all the way to full then it just drops real fast while I'm driving it eventually goes to empty on the gauge but I still has about 8 gallons in the tank when it reads empty. I thought maybe the float leaks but it's good. Maybe the cheapo sender I bought is weak.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 AM

If it's any consolation, I've been having similar issues with the senders for tractors... a lot of Chinese junk on the market right now. Before you give up on it, check for a good ground though. Sometimes running a wire from the sender to a fresh body ground helps. That quick drop and not bottoming sounds like it could be a float issue though... are you sure it isn't binding on the tank edge when you install it? Touching a gasket or something? I assume it moves up and down freely out of the tank...
Old 11-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Yea it does move freely out of tank. I checked the ohms when full and empty. Full should be10 ohms and mine is8. empty should be 73 ohms mine is 75.5. I checked this out of the tank. My service manual says I should also ground the fuel tank which I now did. I'll see what happens.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM

Bad sender?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

I ended up removing the sender and returning it. Got another one made by AMD. I'll put it in someday and see what happens.