Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Inactive User

Default old schooler shutting down, I tried prayer

OK so I’m old- I grew up on points & condenser, and one coil for all 8 cylinders. And something called a carburetor. (hey, they still work on lawn mowers!) – Anyway I got this old school mopar Sweptline truck I’m working on with 383, and it’s giving me ulcers. I’ve always been damn good at this sort of resurrection stuff and fairly patient. The truck was sitting for some 30 years. The whole fuel system is cleaned & tank sealed now. The New fuel pump with in-line filter added, NEW points/condenser, cap/rotor, wires coil & plugs. The Carter BBD 2 bbl carb is rebuilt & spotless inside. So the truck keeps just shutting off. It may or may not start right up. It shuts off with a little bit of an accelerated idle then the sucking noise like it’s running out of gas. I actually had the truck running with the whole top of the carb OFF and it’s not starving for fuel when it shuts off, the bowl is still full. During the warmer weather it might idle for 15 minutes, but it seems worse since it got colder out or maybe what ever is breaking down is getting worse.? I tried bypassing the resistor, running a hot wire to the positive side of the coil, fiddling with all of Mopars lousy firewall connection and NOTHING seems to make a difference. Any thoughts? thanx, Crossy
Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Try a different coil. New doesn't mean its "good".
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

The coil was one of the last things I did, it is new, but was working fine on my 360 before trying it on the 383. It does the exact same thing. Thanx, Crossy
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 PM

What happens when you choke it when it tries to stall? Just cover the carb with your hand.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Inactive User

nothing different when I hand choke it, mainly because the flap is almost full closed when it's cold. I got it working right in the fall. thanx, crossy
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

Carbs can often be impossible to rebuild, because of the varnish in gas, which tends to harden into something like cement in internal passage right angles. This can be impossible to clean out without soaking the body in strong carb cleaner (the kind that has chromic acid, which might not be available any more, because, as everybody knows, carbs don't exist any more). But I had experience with several carbs that just wouldn't clean up even with the strong stuff. All I can suggest is to take the carb apart again and soak the body in something like berryman chemtool, which is sold in 3/4 gallon cans for about 20 bucks. You might need 2 cans and a separate container. Soak for 2-3 days, rinse it out with mild cleaner and blow out the passages with compressed air. -Wear goggles.- That worked on the tq I have on the Chrysler.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM

I use ultrasonic cleaning when rebuilding old carbs. No prob then. BTW seemingly open passageways may still be blocked by debris coming loose and collecting at an inconveinient point once fuel starts coming through. It may sink slowly back and then sucked in again on restarting etc etc. In addition: New methanol mixed fuel is capable of dissolving old specification fuel hoses etc very quickly. the gunk will then clog up the carb.