Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:14 AM

Help 69 Charger lost all power while driveing. NEED help

I have a 1969 Dodge Charger and i was driveing and all of a sudden i lost all power completely, all lights went out and then it died and back fired. It was as if all the power was shut off completely. The cabin filled with a little smoke and the smell of burnt wires. I opened the hood and noticed that the fuseable link was blown. I tried to reconnect it but it shorted out. Would it fix the problem if i replace the fuseable link or is their another problem? Need help as car is stuck on side of road. Their is absolute no power no lights wont turn over as if their is no battery.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 PM

I don't have a wiring schematic for your car. But something has obviously shorted out. Get it towed home and you'll have to dig into what shorted out.

Sorry not really much help.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Sounds like the AMP guage failed or shorted against the instrument cluster. It could also be a melted connection at the bulkhead connector.

You can run the coil positive to the battery and use a screwdriver to jump the connection at the starter relay. That would start the engine and limp it home. The alt will not be charging at that point. at the connection from the alternator at the bulkhead connector or at the amp guage, you do risk a possible fire.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 AM

I finally figured out what had happened, the POS terminal on the Alt shorted out against the frame of the alt. because the terminal was loose all the way up into the alt. So when the alt shorted out it fried the AMP guage and also fried the fusible link. I got a new fusible link but was wonder if the parts place that sold the alt would pay the cost of a new AMP guage because it was their product that was the reason that the AMP guage fried
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
Sounds like the AMP guage failed or shorted against the instrument cluster. It could also be a melted connection at the bulkhead connector.

You can run the coil positive to the battery and use a screwdriver to jump the connection at the starter relay. That would start the engine and limp it home. The alt will not be charging at that point. at the connection from the alternator at the bulkhead connector or at the amp guage, you do risk a possible fire.
Thanks for the info about the coil positive to the battery to start the car. I can use that info for future reference.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVMopar View Post
I don't have a wiring schematic for your car. But something has obviously shorted out. Get it towed home and you'll have to dig into what shorted out.

Sorry not really much help.
Thanks for reply, at least you tried. I should have thought to look at the alt terminal at first but it was late at night and it was cold and didnt have any tools on me at the time
Old 11-04-2017, 02:43 AM

since the Amp gauge is fried, will the alt still charge? It does start even though the amp gauge is bad
Old 11-04-2017, 12:26 PM

I'm going to guess that since you can start it, you are probably getting power through the gauge even though it has failed in terms of functioning. If it was mine and it didn't charge , I would just hook the outgoing/incoming wires on the back of the gauge to one terminal and bypass the fried gauge completely. ( You are sure it's a amperage gauge and hasn't been changed to a voltmeter?) Good to know that fusible link worked the way it was supposed it, it may have saved your car from burning to the ground.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I'm going to guess that since you can start it, you are probably getting power through the gauge even though it has failed in terms of functioning. If it was mine and it didn't charge , I would just hook the outgoing/incoming wires on the back of the gauge to one terminal and bypass the fried gauge completely. ( You are sure it's a amperage gauge and hasn't been changed to a voltmeter?) Good to know that fusible link worked the way it was supposed it, it may have saved your car from burning to the ground.
Thats a good idea, i may just hook the wires to one terminal. It is the factory amp guage, the cluster is out of a 70 Charger. Yea i agree, Thank Goodness for the fusible link. Such a life savor. Im gonna add a new amp gauge in the future.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:15 PM

Usually electrical component warranties are limited to the replacement value of the unit (in your case the alternator). You can plead your case for the cost of the amperage gauge, but I doubt that they will cough up for it.