Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Default 1959 d-100

Hello,Everyone.
I'm building a59 D-100 and have some questions about the read end. I know it is an 8 3/4 and 1 of my questions is, using green bearings can I use the chunk and axles out of a 67 Chrysler 300? I'm trying to get away from using the old style axles. in other words, are the housings the same for the 8 3/4's other than the axle lengths?
Dave Baker
Old 04-09-2019, 10:01 AM

There are differences...

First, the bearings require spacers, and the backing plate bolt pattern is different. Then your axle lengths might not be right.

But why go to the trouble? All you need to do is use the original axles, they're strong enough to do anything you want to do with them (they were used just the same on Hemi 426 cars) if you get rid of the original wheel lugs, put in the later style lugs and use later model brake drums of the same dimensions.

If, however, you used the complete rear end from the Chrysler, then you would simply have to take off the spring perches and weld them in the right place to suit the pickup springs. But watch the pinion angle, that's quite important.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM

I went ahead and used the 67 housing, welded new perches and set up with the correct pinion that the old one was. know I just have to mock-up and get the ladder bars the way I want them. Thanks for the input Mr. Bell
Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM

So I got the rear end built and in the truck, got the new pads welded on for the springs and everything looks good. Just waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop, so on to other projects on this truck. If anyone knows where I can get other parts for a 58 to 60 power giant like radiator, front fenders, doors, windshield, trans tunnel cover, please let me know. Thanks Dave

Tags
axles , d-100 , questions , style , words