Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2000, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

My first mopar was a 1961 Dodge seneca.318 poly,push button trans.Most people think this was the ugliest mopar ever made but man I loved that car!I broke the parking brake the fist time I Drove it,so for the next four years You would have to jump out and chock the wheels to keep it from wandering off somewhere.It also lacked reverse so parking took plenty of planning too.I had to sell her for $50.when I joined the navy.Great car.
Old 05-03-2000, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Wink

My first came Mopar 3 years ago when I was 15. I had the money saved up. I was going to get a mustang but this came along first. I sure am glad it did. My car is a 1940 Plymouth coupe, with a stock 318, nova subframe and a 8in ford rear. It's not the fastest car at school but its the best looking. But next year when I come back from Wy Tech it WILL be the fastest.
Old 05-03-2000, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

My first car was a 1963 Dart GT with a /6 and pushbutton tranny. If you're like me you probably wished you had kept a lot of your old Mopars.
Old 05-04-2000, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

My first mopar was a 1972 4dr Imperial LeBaron with beautiful original green paint. 440 of course POWER EVERYTHING windows vent ones to, seats, antena, tilt, telescopic automatic climate control, the works. It must have seated at least 20, 10 in the trunk. Drove it then took the motor and tranny out to put in a road runner, the seats went into my 69 3/4 truck, used the gears for my cornet, and I still have her(I only sold one car I ever bought a 90 2dr shadow 2.5 turbo 5spd still kicking myself). I always have my eye out for a 72 2dr still haven't found one though.
Old 05-04-2000, 01:49 AM

My first Mopar was a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim, my dad put 171,000 miles on it, I put another 27,000 on it before I sold it. Everything you weren't supposed to do to a car, I did one way or another with it (hey, was learning) but the car took the abuse and came back for more. It needed a new transmission at at 185,000 after I learned how to neutral drop...but other than that I still see it driving around from time to time and will be buying it back when the present owner (a girl who will most likely end up buying a Goddamn Honda) is done with it.

Sam
http://marlin.jeph.net/
Old 05-04-2000, 03:44 AM
Inactive User

Smile

My first mopar was a 1970 Barracuda,which i think was a rare car the way it was optioned.It had a 383 super commando with a 4-speed 3.23 open rearend.The only other options were magnum 500 wheels.This was a plain barracuda.I`ve never seen another one like it.It was lime green too. This car had a 140 mph top speed.estimated since the spedo only went to 120.It was faster than a friends ss396.This was 23 years ago.
Old 05-15-2000, 07:16 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

The first MOPAR I ever smoked was some dude's GTX. It was a '67 that he had put a built-up 440 in, thinking he was the king of the street (as I found out recently after talking to his friend). I was at a stoplight in my '66 GTO after leaving a concert with some friends--two of them, both in my car--when the GTX guy pulls up next to me. He had a baseball cap on backwards and was looking our way eagerly. I could see his girlfriend pointing at us and encouraging him to challenge us, noy that he needed encouraging. I could tell that the guy thought he could probably blow me away with his big bad MOPAR, so I humored him with a nod when he started revving his engine at me. I put me foot in it and when the light turned green we both took off in clouds of smoke. A few hundred feet later and he was just an ugly grille in my rearview mirror. From there he turned down a side street and I didn't see him again. I think it was his first lesson about Pontiacs and Plymouths and their timeless relationship as Leader and Follower.
Old 05-15-2000, 05:01 PM

I have lots of video of my street legal - emission legal 68 440 RR smoking the local hot shot pontiacs at the local drag strip here in Tucson - real graphic proof of the crap they build - not someone mouthing off on the internet. Come on down to the south west and see how fast you are!

One thing that sticks out in my mind is being at Island Dragway (NJ) back in the early 60's and watching Jerry Steins (Teachers Pet) max wedge MOPAR station wagon whipping the snot out of the 421 Pontiacs and 409 Chevs!!!!!! A long standing trend!!!

[This message has been edited by AZMOPAR (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old 05-15-2000, 05:53 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Thumbs down

Have you guys noticed that there have been a lot of these sort of people making comments like this??? Guys who post a couple of messages then lay some Flame bait down. This type of person(for those that don't know) is sometime referred to as a Troll
A trolls usual method off attack is to make a few posts and then watch for something that they can say that will cause as much controversy as possible. These Trolls then go to there News Group "alt.Troll" (there are other news groups too) and brag about the controversy they cause. The more responses the troll gets to his or her comment the bigger the "braggin" rights.. Sorta Drag race to see who creates the most crap. Not saying specifically that "Real Pwer" is a Troll, but his actions a right on Par with a Trolls Typical Method of Operating.
BUT to respond to "Real Power"s comments
How many pontiac motors have been banned from a racing organization, and how many Mopar engines have?? well NO pontiac has ever been banned from ANY form of racing EVER. BUT mopars have been banned from 50's INDY car,1965 NASCAR, early 70's Nascar, and have been hobbled by mid 70's NHRA. And the new 354 Hemi has recently been banned from NASCAR again... in Chryslers 2nd year in WoOutlaw sprints the ONLY mopar in the series Won Points champ last year. There is talk of Limiting/outlawing the Outlaw motor. Why do mopars get banned Because they are faster and GM owners are whiners(NOT Winners) how many NASCAR races have been won with Pontiacs, compare that, and even though Chrysler has REALLY been out of NASCAR since the mid 70s, Mopar still has more wins. How many Pontiac have Chrysler derivative 426 Hemi motors in them...ALL NHRA Supercharged alcohol cars, and as far as Pontiacs go, they are only Pontiacs because the sticker says so. Since the mid 70's its been a mopar under the hood.
Once again No Pontiac engineer ever touched that motor. AS far as NASCAR is concerned the ONLY thing you can buy from GM or was designed by GM is the alternator Bracket and the rough cast block. The WHOLE motor is designed by aftermarket companies. The Mopar motors are designed by MOPAR. How many Pontiac small blocks make 13sec ET. NONE the current 5.7 is a GM motor.
how many Pontiac Big Blocks Broke 13sec 2(and not consistently I might add) the 455 and the 100 built 1968 400 stage IV ram airs Lets count the mopars who have made the 13 second quarter mile. 413 MaxW, 426 II, 426III, 426 Hemis, 440, 440 six Pac, 426 race motors(of which they built MUCH more than 100 of them, more like 1000 of them from 1962-1968) 340, 488 V-10.. both the 400hp and the 450hp motors. How many stock Pontiacs broke into the 12 second range??
NONE
How many Mopars. 3, 1964 Maxwedge car a 440 six Pac car is documented to have broke the 12 second range with Ronnie Sox At the wheel of a 1969 car for motor trend I believe and My favorite the Viper hmmm looks like MOPARS a winner again.
Lets see that Pontiac beat a viper, in anything but price that is...
to "real power"
you clearly made the decision to be Pontiac guy based on the looks of the car, not it heritage or the quality of engineering. Because Pontiac doesn't design anything but the body shape….they haven't designed an engine since the mid 70's. but maybe i am wrong..nuff said...Mopar to ya
Maxwedge

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited May 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited May 15, 2000).
Old 05-16-2000, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

A 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Formula "S". She had a screaming 273 Commando W/904 and a 2.92:1 sure grip. Had the 150 mph speedo bouncing and the tach in the dash begging for mercy more nights than i care to remember on interstate 75s. Had the car from 12 years old till i was 22 and went into the army. Dad had the car for many years after me and just sold it last year cause my brother was in trouble and needed a large sum of cash or county striped suits. We bought the car from its original owner in '79 and had it till '99.Almost had to cry when it left the family possession. My wife has been pissed off since last year cause i was in the middle of my '65 cuda project and did not have the extre funds to obtain her high school sweethearts pride and joy. She loved the car as much as I And we even left the church In that ole chariot. Will probably be pissed off at my bro for a long while (me or my wife)?

------------------
"MOPOWER" There Is No Substitute
*CUDADUDE*
Old 05-16-2000, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up

to Maxwedge:

I had to crawl out from under my bridge for that reply. I appreciate your lengthy defense of DaimlerChrysler and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm glad you didn't technically accuse me of being a Troll because I'm really not. I don't have a news group and I'm not into bragging about turmoil. I just like to read you MOPAR guys' defenses. I really figured that they would be much more vicious when I started.
That story of mine isn't really true, either. The only time I've raced against a MOPAR was in my 240Z the first night I owned it. Not expecting to win but curious to see what happened, I lined up against my friend in his '70 Charger rt/se. I dropped the clutch and took off cracking through the gears while he sat on the line creating billows of white smoke that my car could have created only by losing some of its cylinder rings. Soon enough, though, he shot past me and when we ran out of road he was still increasing the gap. Good stuff.
Though it's true that I will always be loyal to Pontiac and my goat, I have love in my heart (and room in my garage, so to speak) for your Mama's cars too. I love Chargers, Road Runners, and Challengers just as much as any of you. I only lament the fact that Pontiac crapped out of the engine creation game so long ago. MOPAR Performance Parts is profoundly enviable to a guy who can't even put a forged crank in his car because nobody (neither Pontiac nor the Aftermarket) ever made one.
But style Pontiac certainly had. The GTO wasn't the fastest musclecar on the street, but it was in my opinion the best looking. And one thing is indisputable: the Pontiac GTO was the first musclecar created and so deserves credit for inspiring all the others. Nobody can say that fast cars wouldn't have been born without the GTO, but certainly not as profusely had Pontiac not led the way.
Old 05-16-2000, 04:43 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Real Muscle I may have to beg to differ on the GTo being the first Muscle car as many consider the Chrysler 300 Letter series to be such as that. This car not only had the styling that shaped the muscle car world including giving the styling clues to the ever so popular Chevy BelAir, it was the first car to have a more hp than cubic inch engine. This car was dominating nascar from its initial design. This car led into the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's leading to the Max Wedge and Hemi Super Stock cars. The only dealer sold cars by any manufacturer made and sold by dealers to any person that could pay for it that were not warrantied for street use. On a second hand note Chrysler has a vehicle currently in production that is the same way a Production Viper GTS-R is a non-street car that can be bought at any dealership to anyone who has the money but is not warrantied for the street. One more thing even though I am changing from the original topic of the Pontiac just a side note is that the Plymouth Barracuda was the first pony car on the market and had the better styling and engine performance than the Ford Mustang. The Barracuda is a full year production car in 1964 when the mustang was introduced only halfway into that same year. You can not get a 64 Mustang a 64 1/2 yes but no 64. Dont mean to be starting more flame topics just thought that the truth be told.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-16-2000, 05:59 PM

I knew someone was going to bring up the 300 in response to my statement of the fact that the GTO was the first musclecar. While it's true that the 300 was faster than the other guys back then and had a real performance image, there was no real rush to match it by the other companies. It pretty much stood alone. It was a BIG car with a strong engine.
The GTO, on the other hand, was a SMALL car with a big engine. That concept was new to the auto industry. At that time both NASCAR and drag racing was competition with the full-size models.
In the first year of its creation, the GTO drew 30,000 kids in to buy it. More if Pontiac had been able to keep up, but they had only anticipated selling about 3,000. This alone illustrates what a shock this car was to the automotive world.
Suddenly everybody was rushing to produce their competitor. I don't need to go through the names, but one stands out as being particularly copycat: Plymouth GTX.
Old 05-16-2000, 07:06 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I would have to agree with Real Power on the GTO vs 300. The definition of a muscle/pony car is 4 seat v-8 sedan type. with an emphasis on the youth market(aka imagry such as the superbee/roadrunner/Tiger) and they were cheep. The Viper/Corvett/Prowler/300 cars dont fit into that. but that is just my opinion..
Maxwedge

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited May 16, 2000).]
Old 05-16-2000, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

Wink

If anyone is still interested my first Mopar was a 71 440 Sixpack Challenger R/T...my eyes still get teary.Oh and bye the way I work at a Pontiac dealership and I drive a 88 Dakota and a 440 powered Duster. ...Eric http://www.buffnet.net/~tag1015/1355pro/
Old 05-17-2000, 03:43 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Maxwedge when was the original year for the GTO as I can remember it was in 66 and the original ponycars the Barracuda and (hate to say it) Mustang came out in 64 and mid 64 respectively. The Barracuda Formula S was a serious performance package even with the 273HP. Unlike today all the R/T are just badging and no real performance options. This is true today in all car companies. Anyways back to my point the Formula S was a High horsepower engine in a very lightweight Car. Also in 62 were the B-body lightweight aluminum 426 Maxwedge cars nobody could touch them. In 64 were the B-Body 426 Hemi Superstock cars. All this I had stated before but all that real power picked up on was the 300 letter series. Why I have to assume he has no answer for any of these real muscle cars that still cant be touched. These were the prelude to the bare bones roadrunner and GTX and Suberbees that Mother produced not the GTO. Mother Mopar was perfomance before anybody else and everybody else played ketchup (pun intended). You should know this about the max wedge cars yourself.

Real Muscle are you listening to the whole story?

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-18-2000, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

"73 4 door satelite, brown ,white top, 318 first car "87 RULED!!!
Old 05-18-2000, 08:16 AM
Inactive User

Alittle off the topic but one question. Why is it that the big performance magazine editors believe that a Mopar is like some kind of problem stepchild. Every shootout I see between similar engines for the Big 3 manufacturers always seem to have a trick product x motor versus a rather mild or moderately built Mopar. Then they are amazed when the Mopar still makes better power! Also why do the product x guys have to whine so much about having to race against Mopar engines. If they do their homework and design a competitive engine then they wouldn't have to sit on the sidelines and cry at an inevitable Mopar vs Mopar final. I just don't get it.... cruzerjd
Old 05-18-2000, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

You all are forgetting the real first muscle cars. Yes, the 300 letter series were meant for the upscale car enthusiast in their time, but there was also Dodge and Plymouth. The low-priced 1956 Plymouth Fury had the biggest engine in it's class. It also had a special trim package to make it stand out.

Dodge went one better with the 1956 D-500 and D-500-1 packages. The package could be had on any model, from the stripped 2-door sedan to the 9-passenger wagon.

1957 was even better, with bigger engines, and better handling with the TorsionAire suspension.
Old 05-18-2000, 08:04 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Christian
I was under the assumption that the GTO came out in 64..But Im not a pontiac enthusiast AT ALL so I could well be wrong.
and as far as the special option packages. Everyone had the occasional hot dog motors, from the 1930's Jaguar SS to the 50's letter cars. Just because you put a different trim package and a hto dog motor does that make it a muscle car??
all the hemis in the 50s were advertised as hot dogs. Which would lean the cars toward the muscle car.
again Im classifying a muscle car as being a 4 seater coup or hardtop, hot dog motor, and a Youth oriented image. Cuda or roadrunner arnt exactly something you would find an Elderly statesman driving..
Do you consider the Chrysler FuryTNT's muscle cars....its kida questionable to me.
but these are just my opinions
and my .02
Maxwedge
Old 05-18-2000, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Smile

'71 Challenger RT, 340, 727, 8-3/4. I still miss it.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Smile

'71 Challenger RT, 340, 727, 8-3/4. I still miss it.
Old 05-20-2000, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Those were the days. The cheerleader girlfreind, the job at the local gas station and my 74 Baracuda. Started wsith a 318 but my dad found a crashed 69? daytona RR with a elephant motor.We had the hemi rebuilt used the 4 speedfrom the RR and I had a blast! 20 years and lots of Mops {curently an 85 power ram 4 wheeler and my 97 S/ST} latter I miss that fish.

------------------
Old 05-20-2000, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

'86 Turismo Duster.. Was and will be the best car I've ever owned! It was no screamer, by any stretch of the imagination, but was reliable as hell. I wish I still had it b/c by now it would have a rwd conversion, 360,727 tubbed and roll bar - that would have been awesome. Oh well.....
Old 05-20-2000, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

The finned Plymouth Furys had dual 4-bbls, and if that was not intended to be muscle, I don't know what muscle means. There were no cheaper cars than Plymouth being built at that time, except Studebaker. Hmmm, seems to me there was a 5 passenger, 2 door hardtop, supercharged car out of that manufacturer also. They called it the Golden Hawk. And then there was the Rambler Rebel in '58. Guess there were a whole bunch of muscle cars before GM got the credit in 1964.
Old 05-20-2000, 04:20 PM

My first mopar was a 80 cordoba slant 6 converted it to 360 drove for ten years still have it just have moved on to more mopars WHAT ELSE IS THERE!!!!
Old 05-21-2000, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

My first Mopar is still living in my house. In 1964 I ordered a 1965 Dodge Coronet 330 383 3 speed on tree with a 323 posi and a AM radio. It cost me at that time $2325.00.I have now had this car for over 35 years and it has a new 426 Hemi 4 speed in it. I drive 1/2 times a month only in good weather,I'm 52 years old and I hope to have it for another 35 years.

------------------

One owner 1965 HEMI Car
S/Pro Aries K Car
Old 05-23-2000, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

50s cars with optional two four-barrel motors included: Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler, Ford, Thunderbird, Mercury, Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac and Packard. 50s cars with triple carbs included Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Chevy. Supercharged 50s cars included Studebaker Golden Hawk, Ford and Thunderbird. Any of these cars are legitimate "muscle" cars.

NHRA created the Super Stock class in 1957--long before the GTO was invented.

In 64, when the GTO was introduced, you could get a mid-sized Plymouth or Dodge with either 383 four barrel or 426 street wedge, backed up either with the fabulous pushbutton torqueflite or Chrysler's own 4 speed. These cars with either motor or trans were more than competitive with a GTO; they just lacked the latter's phony hood scoops. And we haven't even discussed the 62-64 max wedges or the 64 hemi. GTO invented the muscle car in 1964? Please.

[This message has been edited by hemi-1 (edited May 22, 2000).]
Old 05-24-2000, 01:39 AM
Inactive User

My first Mopar was and is a 77 Newport originally with a 400 4bbl. It now has a locked up '64 413. I still have it and will eventually get to it. However my current project is a 70 Newport Conv. It has a mild 383 in it. The Dukes of Hazzard got me interested in Mopars, and all n my other friends were into brand X. So to be different I got into Mopars, and bought my 77 when I was in the Navy and been hooked ever since. Currently my wife and I have 19 Mopars.
Old 05-24-2000, 04:39 AM
Inactive User

Wink

My first mopar was a 1962 plymouth valiant. Probably one of the ugliest cars ever made, but it was my best friend in grade 11. "ALEX" as I called him, had a slant six that wouldn't quit, and never put a penny into it. While in college my dad sold it to a drive by auto wreckers for 25 bucks. I don't think he knew what that car meant to me. He did save me the gas cap though!