Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Default 1968 rhd barracuda convertible, UK

Hi fellow Moheads,
Its been quite a while since I've visted......hows everyone?
I've been itching to work on my Britfish again after these past few years of her hiding in my garage.
I see that theirs been some action on some RHD'ers on ebay this year.......has enyone brougt any f/b, coupes or ragtops over to the states lately?
Over the years i've come to the realization that shes quite special and I should treat her a bit more nicely. Being an AA1 w/a red interior she should be restored to her correct orginal condition but with all the cool stuff thats come availible these past few years that would make her more fun to drive, its becoming a bit more confusing as to what to do with her.
I've found over the years of researching her past that their were not that many ragtops and only one (her) that was AA1 code as well as being the only special order car in the whole lot that went over in 67,68 and 69.

Oh what am I to do!

What do ya'll think?

btw, are their any British moheads that may have remembered a silver w/red interior convertible roaming the streets of London in the late sixties, seventies and even in the eighties (she was red in the 80's)?
She was owned by William Landseer who owned Landseer Photography and Landseer Studios in the late 60's and 70's.

Lost and confused.
Britfish
Old 08-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Inactive User

I'd say that so long as any thing you do to make the car more "entertaining" is done in character with the car, and doesn't detract from the car's history, and is reversible, well go for it.

I remember the fastback being quite common in RHD over here, but usually really rusty in the A-pillars and floors. I guess thats why they aren't common any more.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Inactive User

Default 1968 rhd barracuda

I'd like to think what I have in mind would keep with the spirt of that time.

I really don't have a desire to change much other than the engine performance and her road handling ability.

Being that she's an AA1 (silver buffed metalic) with a red interior I've always felt that she captured the feel and spirt of a european sports car.

The additions I've thought of doing wre more on the lines of a ralley theme like stripes and a stylish type of ralley lights to re-capture that sense of euro flare and performance that the orginal barracudas were designed around.

I suppose I could do a total restoration and try to make her as perfect as my wallet could allow but then like all restored to orginal machines, I would be afraid to take her on the streets and stomp the throttle so to speak. as well as wondering when the next rain shower will hit and cause chaos with the undercarrage detailing and so forth.

I just want her to look like she did in the Sixties when she was new but perform and handle like she was born in the 21st century.

I guess I just want my cake and eat it as well..........

Thanks for the insight 68fury, i'll take what you said to heart.

The one thing I do need for the interior are dash panels, all three pcs. The glovebox, center and gage cluster. The ones I have, havent faired well to time as well as the center section having been cut open for the overseas spec radios that were installed at that time. The proper radio delete plate for that whould be a great find as well as proper replacement steering bits like the pitman, idler and maybe even a spare steering box.

Thanks again,
Britfish
Old 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

Hi Britfish,

Just out of curiosity, since your barracuda is rhd, does it have a mirror image of a lhd Rallye instrument cluster? I have always wondered how lhd cars are converted to rhd. Any photos? I would love to see.

Good luck with the car
Old 08-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

If you need RHD dash parts I might know a guy who has some. The UK had a fair number of Baracudas and most have died a rusty death now (they went through a period of being ike the most unfashionable car you could have, only owned by real low lifes) but this guy buys and parts out all mopars, so I'll bet he has some stuff. I'll get you his email addy.

I bet he'd be amazed to be shipping stuff back to the USA!
Old 08-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: 1968 rhd barracuda convertible, UK

Quote:
Originally posted by britfish
Hi fellow Moheads,
Its been quite a while since I've visted......hows everyone?
I've been itching to work on my Britfish again after these past few years of her hiding in my garage.
I see that theirs been some action on some RHD'ers on ebay this year.......has enyone brougt any f/b, coupes or ragtops over to the states lately?
Over the years i've come to the realization that shes quite special and I should treat her a bit more nicely. Being an AA1 w/a red interior she should be restored to her correct orginal condition but with all the cool stuff thats come availible these past few years that would make her more fun to drive, its becoming a bit more confusing as to what to do with her.
I've found over the years of researching her past that their were not that many ragtops and only one (her) that was AA1 code as well as being the only special order car in the whole lot that went over in 67,68 and 69.

Oh what am I to do!

What do ya'll think?

btw, are their any British moheads that may have remembered a silver w/red interior convertible roaming the streets of London in the late sixties, seventies and even in the eighties (she was red in the 80's)?
She was owned by William Landseer who owned Landseer Photography and Landseer Studios in the late 60's and 70's.

Lost and confused.
Britfish
You have a very rare find my friend even you said it was the only aa1 code car. You need to restore her to her stock unmolested glory just like when she rolled off the assembly line. You said you'ld be afraid to drive her and I would too since it's a on of a kind optioned aa1 car. I have a stock Road Runner with only 60,000 on it. Most of it I put on it going to car shows. MAtter of fact, that's the only time it sees daylight.

Please put it back stock and original. Once these rare cars are gone, they will be gone for good. Besides they handle well for the old tech that's in them amyways. And I love the look on kids and youg teens faces when I drive past them on the way to a show and they just stare and oooh and ahhh. I'd put her back stock. Hope that helps make up your mind.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: 1968 rhd barracuda convertible, UK

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43
Please put it back stock and original. Once these rare cars are gone, they will be gone for good. Besides they handle well for the old tech that's in them amyways.
I think all he's talking about is some decent shocks and springs, radials, electronic ignition, that type of thing.

Obviously with a one-off, dropping a Magnum EFI crate motor in and 20" billets or a blown hemi and tubs would be a tragedy.

Its another case if the car is mint original survivor. Even the base spec cars like this shouldn't really be played with as they are one of the best refference points we have available when someone is restoring their Mopar if there is a guy with an unrestored example to look at and advise.

But I kind of got the impression (maybe wrongly) that Britfish's car was needing resto anyway so the original survivor rule doesn't apply.

I've ended up selling cars which were "too good for me". I have a real survivor (non-mopar) in storage. I want an example of same car for a custom project, but the one I got is too original (one of the best I've seen) so I'll sell it and buy a car in worse condition to do. Go figure! And its a boring base model which is why I got it cheap anyway. Wasn't until I cleaned all the crud off I realised what it was.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

I have a survivor Duster '76 360 4 spd pwr steer man. brake bench seat car with only 40,000 on it and never a bolt turned other than maintenance. Came form an elderly couple that must have bought it new. Perfect except the body. Little dings and scratches. Cant bring myself to paint it though. It's all original and it has charracter I think.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Default RHD Barracuda

I have a 1968 RHD Barracuda Convertible, looking for production figures for the 1968 year model. Perhaps a list of Vin numbers produced RHD. I really enjoyed reading through the posts here, would like to see if I can find the above info, or perhaps offer info to someone else.

The comment about the RHD dash, mine is factory and appears to be from a dart and placed on the right. Thoughts??

Thanks,

Jeff