Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Question Towing with a 60's Mopar??

I have a ski boat and trailer that weighs about 3500 lbs that I currently tow with late model full size pickup. I want to dump the truck and pull the boat with a cooler ride, like maybe a mid/late 60's Fury or Satellite. My problem is I am concerned with the unit body construction of Mopars and how much damage I might cause. Any body ever tow with one of these cars? Any recommendations on a style of hitch and mounting? I have a welder and can cut and fabricate my own hitch platform if necessary (couldn't find any thing on the web). Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:29 AM

You may be able to get away with that weight behind a Fury or a Polara. I doubt that you would get away with it behind a B-body.

I would definately have a pair of subframe connectors welded in.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

wow

there was e real beefy 4000 pound drawtite hitch on my magnum, wish i hadve kept it, you might want to see if they still make em. it had a kinda frame built in to it about 3' long
Old 04-05-2005, 02:43 AM

You may want to look into a Chrysler or big Dodge or Plymouth.
Imperials, New Yorkers, Furys, Polaras and most C-bodies have been used to loads in excess of 3500 lbs, sometimes much more.
The B bodies can tow pretty well too, but not with near the stability of the bigger C body cars. But, if you dont want a real large car, a decent B body should handle 3500 lbs ok , just make sure the suspension and brakes are in good mechanical order due to the age of these cars going on 30 to 40 years or more, some extra checking over is a good idea before strapping a large load on.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 AM

Idea

Not that it may be of any concern. But I do all of my hauling with an ole 1973 Dodge Van with god knows how many miles, with the original 318 2 b carb. It bogs down alot on hills and it does not go very fast but it has always got it their. It has a class 3 hitch I think. I had holes drilled up through the bottom of the floor right through the fram into the back bed of the van. It can't be ripped out. The bolts would break in half befor it ripps out.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

I will double check, but acording to Popular Mechanics, Oct (i think) 1974, the 74 fury wagon, when properly equiped, is able to tow 7500 pounds, the Satellite wago (which I have) is rated at 6000 pounds....... My girlfriends Mom has old issues of PM, very cool reading, just love the old adds.....thought about scanning some of that stuff and posting but not very smart, or brave (copyright?????)
Back in the day, the wagon was THE towing platform, often better than the trucks of the day..
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy1500
I will double check, but acording to Popular Mechanics, Oct (i think) 1974, the 74 fury wagon, when properly equiped, is able to tow 7500 pounds, the Satellite wago (which I have) is rated at 6000 pounds....... My girlfriends Mom has old issues of PM, very cool reading, just love the old adds.....thought about scanning some of that stuff and posting but not very smart, or brave (copyright?????)
Back in the day, the wagon was THE towing platform, often better than the trucks of the day..
I agree about loveing the old adds. As far as my van is concerned it may be in need of a tune up. But it has not been that long ago. I am thinking about the new Champion Truck Plugs, to see how they do.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:42 PM

One thing, be sure the suspension, and brakes are up to snuff, especially on the front. Stopping a vehicle with the extra weight of a trailer can be a handful on occasion. Not point making it worse by having loose tie rod ends or ball joints, worn bushings, etc etc....
Also, get a tranny cooler!!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

Biggrin

and, something to go with stoga's tranny cooler, dont tow with 2.76 gears! make sure you at least have 3.23's
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

Hi, I know this is already an old thread but I was searching for information about towing applications.

Does anybody have some information about the exact towing rates for a 1967 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 383? To install a trailer hitch on your car in Germany you need to prove the towing rate (including tongue weight) for your specific vehicle.

Because our race tracks are always far away from my city, I would like to tow a small travel trainer where I could stow all my parts for the race and can sleep during the weekend. I´m thinking about an old Aloha trailer with around 2000pounds weight.

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards
Jan
Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 AM

Original sales brochures might contain this information...