Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Stupid people piss me off!

Let me start by saying that in the part of the country that I live in, (SE TX coastal plains) older mopars of ANY KIND, whether they are driveable, or in a salvage/scrap yard, are as rare as hen's teeth. 70 of 100 (american) cars are GM, 25 are fords, and mopars might make up a few of the other 5.

That stated, I would like to express my frustration with the person whom I encountered earlier today..... Have you ever seen a car that you just knew would be the perfect car to rebuild or restore just parked somewhere waiting for you to come along and save it? It's been there for years, you know this because you remember that you saw it there at least 7 years ago (which was the last time you traveled that road), yet whenever you inquire if the owner will sell it to you, they won't get up off of it because they're plannin' to fix it up! WTF? Come on man, that thing's been sittin' here for-freakin' ever and you haven't fixed it up yet!

Well, I met this person today.....
I've been seeing this car for the last several months as I drive by an old barn that is about to fall down. The barn is about 150 ft away from the road, next to an R/V park (how ironic) and has "keep out", "private property", and "no trespassing" signs nailed all over the side of it so I dared not get too close to see what kind of old 60's model mopar was visible through the open door in the side of the barn. I could tell that it was a 2 door of some kind, it had all the windows intact, and the body looked pretty straight save for some rust around the lower rear quarters, but I was not able to see exactly what it was.....until yesterday.

I got brave and decided to drive into the entrance of the R/V park to see if I could get a better look at the mysterious car, and I got close enough to see through all the dirt, dust and grime that it is a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX with what looks to be the original red (albeit in really bad shape) paint and the optional black factory stripes! So I thought "Holy shit! That's a freakin' '67 GTX! If that car is original, it either has a 440 super commando, or a 426 HEMI." Turns out that it has a 440 and the trans is missing.

I went back there today on a mission to try and buy that sucker only to find that the old lady that owns the R/V park, the barn, (and the car) doesn't want to sell the car because she gave it to her son to fix up, and he gave it to her grandson, and now he's gonna fix it up blah blah blah blah..... She said that they were going to move the car to another location (probably out in the weather ) because they were going to tear the barn down soon...

Anyway, I left without the car, and It pisses me off because I know that those people aren't ever going to do this car the justice that it deserves. They'll just let the damn thing rot to the ground, and people like myself that would love to put the money, time, and sweat into it to rebuild it properly will never be able to save it!!!!! Damn people like that make me mad!!!

J. Campbell
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

People are weird about cars. I told the story recenly here of a 70 RR I found. The car will no doubt rot into the ground before they sell it. It's about 5 years away from being junk already.

It's a shame. If you want to weep check this site:

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Mopars%20...MoparIndex.htm

Keep after them. You might get lucky

Tom
Old 01-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Do not give up

Do not let that get you down and make you give up. She said that she gave it to her son, who in turn gave it to her grandson, all the while the car is still sitting there right? Which probably means that the kid (Im guessing he's still young) will never get around to fixing it up. I bet that If you can get in contact with that kid and make him an offer, HE WILL SELL IT!!! Im talking about a serious offer. You, me and most people on this site know how much this car is worth, and If you can afford it, I would make this kid an offer so big he couldnt turn it down. Lets say 10k to start with, or somewhere around there. Do you think that the kid will turn down an offer around that price, and keep what he probably thinks is an old, raggady rust bucket? He's probably into ricers anyway. Just food for thought.

roe

PS: None of this is valid if he's watching the Barret Jackson Auction
Old 01-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes2

i feel your pain! 71 big block cuda,on blocks,outside,beside chicken coop.owner lives in poorly rehabed barn,junk cars and trucks everywhere,kids with food and snot on their faces.been there 4 times,tried to buy,only got a quick look at the car,not for sale! last trip pulled out 5k cash,dude said no thanks,gonna fix her up some day.its just not right!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes2

It dosent even have to be car relaited, stupid people just plane pi$$ me off ,:flip: (or the ones who "think "they know everything:flip: )and wont listen to anything anybody else has to say!!!!:flip:
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Inactive User

Sometimes it can be such a shame. There have been many examples over the years of great Mopars that I have known that rotted away just because of ignorance, or a jealous owner. I know of a perfect restoration project that the owner will not let go of. It is a 1968 Coronet R/T 4 speed car. He has it sitting in hisdriveway and I spoke to the owner. He claims he is a Mopar nut but I only see Fords in his driveway. I asked him politely if he would sell the car for a reasonable offer. He said no he was going to restore it. I then told him if he needed any parts or help give me a call and I would be glad to help him out. I have a 1966 Belvedere II sitting in my driveway covered with a blue tarp. The car has been there this way for a year now. I had a guy come up to me a few weeks ago and ask if it was for sale. I said no I am going to restore it soon. The guy flipped on me (yelling) and said that I was never going to get to it and it would rot away, and I should sell it to him because he would treat the car right. This is what my reply to him was.
Right now I have 7 Mopars that are in various stages of restoration. My 1967 Coronet R/T which is a 100% stock restoration sits directly behind your hillbilly ass, my 1966 Dodge Polara rag top with a 90% resto (still needs door jams painted and other minor stuff) sits to the right of your redneck ass. I have a 1967 Barracuda sitting in my garage up on 4 jack stands with no engine or tranny but a completed engine bay and trunk restoration sitting right in front of your toothless butt, I have a 1968 barracuda notchback 4 speed car waiting for work, a 1973 Dodge Charger SE Brogham that will recieve my 400 Big block that is comletely worked over with +40 pistons, eagle rods, hyper pistons, zero decked block reworked crank and ported 452 heads. I have a 1966 Dart GT that is redone which my daughter uses for school. I do not buy cars to watch them rot. Old Mopars are my hobby and I am good at what I do. I restore them drive them for a while and then sell them so I can find something new. Since you are a fool who feels you can insult a perfect stranger about their personal property I feel that you deserve no respect. Also you are most likely not a Mopar fan but just someone who wants an old car to drive into the ground. I see that you are driving a Nissan. Do you see anything other than Mopars in my yard? I don't see you driving a Mopar. I suggest you go pick on someone who is looking to dump a POS Camero. Now get the hell off my driveway.
99.999 percent of the people who stop to talk to me love the cars and are greatful that they get a chance to see some old Mopars. I have been known to give them a ride if they want one. The ride in the Coronet is always a thrill, because I pound it hard. Hey thats what they were made to do. There is always a fool who thinks they know better and those are the ones that I cannot tolerate. No problem in asking, but don't go off on me about what I should do with my cars.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Please don't give up! It took me 1 1/2 years to but my T/A because I was told the same stuff. I believed the guy because he owned a body shop. Although after a year or so of keeping in contact with him he finally told me that he spent all his time in the shop and didn't think he wanted to spend his off time there also. It took almost 4 months to agree on a price but in the end he sold it to me. I asked why he sold it to me instead of all the other people who asked about it and he said because I keep in contact and showed enough intrest that he though I would take care of it. He had owned it since 1973 and I bought it in 1990. He said all the others would leave contact info and he never heard from them again. I guess if you really want it get the grandsons name and start a dialoge with him and see where it goes. You never know.