Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-27-1999, 11:16 PM
Moderate anarchist

Hey all, looking at an 85 Chager as a daily driver. It's got at least a blown head gasket, but that's no big issue I am the FWD head gasket changing champeen of Central Texas, dang Neons. Anything else I should check closely before I buy? I know about the weak A525 5 speeds. Before anyone defends them let me tell you this, I blew up 4 of them in a 2.2 TBI Daytona, so they ain't got it went I drive it. Once I added the MP brace and spider gears I had good luck with them. It's got 120k miles and has been well maintained from the looks of it. Any know weak spots? It's only $400 so I can live with some problems but I am not looking to have to replace the drivetrain.

Steve
Old 12-30-1999, 04:24 AM
Drag Racer

Sounds like you have the car fiqured out already. The only other thing I can think of is if it has a Saginaw steering rack....it may be self rust proofing. I think the 87's had a fast ratio TRW rack they seemed to last a little longer
Old 12-30-1999, 08:41 AM
Moderate anarchist

Yeah, I've been eyeing the MP rack if it needs one. I've also been looking around for struts and springs. I ran Monroe Formula GP's in my Daytona and loved them. Alas, Monroe doesn't appear to make them for L bodies.
Old 12-30-1999, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

I had a 87 Turismo I used to beat at the strip every now and then.Only problem I had was the shift linkage,then I installed the Foreward Motion parts and a torque strap and that cured it.I also changed the rack to one out of a Shelby,and the struts I used were HD units from Gabriel.It was a nice car and it used to get almost 40 mpg on the highway.Sounds like you have the main things covered.
Old 01-01-2000, 05:34 AM

only real problem was head gasket later stlye mopar ones are the trick . on my shelby rack is a leaker shift linkge wears out . i hope on the neons your using the mopar steel head gasket. and if the block or haed are pitted they are junk. if your work at a dealer like me you know all of that crap. it`s the leaking front pump gasket that make me money
Old 01-01-2000, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I bought a Shelby Charger new in 86, and other than the electronics (charging system) and leaks around the sunroof and rear window louvers, it was almost perfect mechanically. Like you said, 1-2 shift fork croaked under warranty, and the shifter mechanism is difficult to repair. The REAL Shelbys (GLHS) had special shocks/struts, Koni's, I think, and are probably still available. Nice little car that has taken a lot of abuse from me over the years.
Clair
Old 01-04-2000, 06:07 PM
Moderate anarchist

I used the MoPar gasket for the Neon and I'll use it for the Charger if I get it. Block and head were fine on the Neon. My problem now it the rear main seal on the Neon. It appears to be leaking. I thought I could use a Sneaky Pete to replace it till I looked int eh FSM. Dang Bedplates. Look like I have to pull the motor or the trans to fix it. If I'm gonna do that I think I ought to just slip a 2.4L out of a Cloud car in. Any thoughts on that?

Steve