Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Default right front universal joint

On my '89 Jeep Cherokee Sport the right front universal joint is bad. I went to the parts store and got a new joint. It's a standered looking universal joint with 4 clips to hold it in place in the yoke. The joint on the front axle has what looks like metal caps on the ends of the universal joint. There is a lot of rust so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. What am I looking at? I'm no stranger to auto mechanics but I never did these before. After taking off the brake caliper and the rotor and the axle nut cotter pin and nut, will the axle shaft slide out so I can replace the universal on the bench? And how does the universal come off the yoke? I can't see where the clips go because of what looks like caps on the outside of the yoke. Any ideas would help me a great deal.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Banned

It sounds like those little straps that hold the cups on during install. After you pull all of the rotors and stuff off the shaft just slides out. The u joint swaps just like a regular drive shaft joint.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

If the axle hasn't been removed before, you will likely find that after removing the brakes and the bolts that hold the wheel bearing to the knuckle that the bearing will not come out easily, it will be likely seized to the knuckle. Attaching a slide hammer to the wheel studs will usually get it out but if you do this, do not remove the large nut in the middle that holds the axle to the hub or you can end up pulling the bearing apart. When removing this way, the hub and axle will come out together. The U-joints themselves are held in place with c-clips on the inside, usually under dirt and rust. There are other styles that use full circle clips that go on the outside which are stronger and easier to remove but also require axleshafts that are built for that style.