Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Default 5 speed Autostick or 6 speed manual

If you were going to buy an 09 challenger RT or SRT8 which transmission would you choose?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

There's things I like and don't like about both. I'm glad I don't have to decide. Conveince of the Auto-Stick vs: performance of the 6 speed. At least we have a choice for a couple of years. The EPA wants to do away with manual boxes because of "over-run" when you shift.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Default Neither

I'd wait for the new twin clutch auto that Chrysler is supposed to introduce. It's talked about on the allpar site. If you can't wait, I'd choose six speed, cause that's waht driving is all about.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Cool

for my new car I think I will choose the auto, as much as I love the stick in my Duster, I am sick and tired of replacing the clutch every few years when I invariably tear it up. I think the new car will get the auto for the reason that I'm not getting any younger and I want my Challenger to be my cruiser, without needing constant attention.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

Autostick. I'm too old and lazy to shift for myself.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 PM

six speed, that leaves you in control: as for the auto, would think the better highway mpg of the 6 speed would be far more important to the epa
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 PM

plus,if you run cruise on an auto, it might downshift at the slight decline, like my 545 does, places where I have come thru not on cruise, and let off, and compression slows you down. I know cruise is not meant for big hills, it should be able to handle small ones, but NOOO! However, works just fine in my wifes Patriot, so, if you see yourself using cruise try it first, see if it ticks you off like my Dakota does me!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

I might have to change my vote to stick, my buddy pointed out to me that it should have the lifetime powertrain warranty, which should include the clutch.
The only caveat I can see is voiding the warranty with aftermarket parts. I'm sure after a few years I'll want to start changing stuff around.

I was at the dealer yesterday, I was the only person there!!!!!(sales are really down)

I really dont like the 20" wheels on the r/t cars, I think the 17" s on the SE models look more appropriate for the car, the 20"s look GHETTO to me. I haven't seen any 18"s yet but think the 17"s are what I want. Anyone else gonna change wheel tire combos right away?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM

Lifetime warranty will not cover the clutch. Just the trans.....I guess if you wanna run the strip regularly on slicks, and have the lifetime, and want to not have to put more money into it, the auto might be the ticket, that is if they didn't find out or dont care you race it. I know a guy that ran 140 or with his sun roof open, in an SRT-4. (with a little bit of pedal left!!) Messed up the sun roof. Dodge flashed the computer, they said how fast he was going, laughed about it, and fixed it for him, "just close it next time" Theres a reason they aint cheap!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

I got the 5 speed autostick. Looked at the stats on the two and you only gain 3hp and 10 foot lbs of torque when goin with the 6 speed manual in the 09 challenger R/T. The autostick works well for show too it won't shift by itself until about 6000rpm. Plus I can still do an awesome burnout with the automatic, forwards and in reverse. Just my opinion though.